Yet another variation of vegan cheeze inspired by Jo Stepaniak’s awesome Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook. I decided to be bold and replaced the usual cashews and tahini with soaked almonds and hemp seeds. It worked like a dream! The cheeze is seasoned with freshly ground black peppercorn and fresh chives from the garden. Yum, yum, yum!
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons agar powder (or 5 tablespoons agar flakes)
- 1/2 cup almonds, soaked for 8 – 12 hrs
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons hemp hearts (hulled seeds)
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives (or 2 or 3 teaspoons dried)
- 1/2 – 3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
Preparation1. Set aside a 2 cup storage container.
2. In a high-power blender such as the Omni V 3HP blender add the almonds, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, hemp seeds, onion and garlic powders, dry mustard, salt and garlic clove.
3. Combine water and agar in a small pan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring often with a whisk until completely dissolved, about 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Add mixture to the other ingredients in the blender and process until completely smooth, scraping down the sides of the blender jar as necessary.
5. Add chives and black pepper and process briefly on low speed, just to incorporate.
6. Pour into container and cool uncovered in the refrigerator.
7. When completely cool, cover and chill several hours. (I usually serve it after 1 hour or so).
8. To serve, turn out of the container and slice.
9. Store covered in refrigerator where it will keep 5 to 7 days. This cheeze also freezes well.