I’d been toying with ways to combine fennel and pear together for a few days, when I stumbled upon a picture of pear pizza. Something in me went ‘YES!’
This was totally new territory for me and was delighted at how these turned out. The marinating process works its magic and gives the fennel a very delicate flavor, which marries beautifully with the sweetness of the pear and the pine nuts. And wait ’til you catch the smell of this pizza coming out of the D! Mmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!
What you’ll need:
- Your favorite Buckwheat Pizza Crust(s)
- Your favorite Basil Pesto
- Marinated Bosc pear
- Marinated fennel
- Pine Nut Parmesan
1. Zucchini & Herb Pizza Crust
- 2 cups sprouted buckwheat
- 2 cups zucchinis, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup ground golden flax
- 1/4 avocado
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons tamari or Nama Shoyu
- 2 teaspoons Italian herbs
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Sea salt (adjust to taste)
Place all ingredients in a food processor and process until dough-like consistency.
Form into pizza crusts (I like to make small ones of about 1/8” thick) and dehydrate at 110 degrees until fully dried.
2. Marinated Bosc Pear
- 1 Bosc pear, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons cold pressed olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Gently toss pear in marinade and let sit for 1 hour.
3. Marinated Fennel
- 1 cup fennel sliced thinly on a mandoline or V-slicer
- 1 tablespoon cold pressed olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tamari or Nama Shoyu
- 1 tablespoon raw agave or honey
Toss fennel with the rest of the ingredients and let marinate for at least 1 hour.
4. Pine Nut Parmesan
- 1/2 cup macadamias
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon flax meal
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
First process macadamias and cashews until ground. Then add the rest of the ingredients and process until well mixed. You don’t want to over-process the pine nuts as they release a lot of oil.
On a pizza crust, spread a generous layer of your favorite basil pesto.
Follow with pear slices, then marinated fennel.
Crumble pine nut parmesan on top.
Dehydrate for 1 hour at 110 degrees.
Optional: Just before serving, top with cherry tomato halves.