I’ve tried a few raw renditions of refried beans in the past but I hadn’t found one that really wowed me. Here’s a cross between a recipe from Kristen Suzanne‘s Easy Raw Entrees ebook and Russell James’ Spicey Beans from his Mexican Style Raw Food Recipes ebook. It was a winner! Definitely the best we’ve had yet!
- 1 1/2 cups sunflower seeds, soaked 2 hours or more
- 3/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, soaked at least 1 hour
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon cold pressed olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dark miso
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 green onion, chopped
- Handful fresh cilantro (about 1/4 cup), chopped
- Tomato soak water
Process all ingredients except cilantro in food processor until smooth. Add a little soak water if needed. Transfer to a bowl.
Fold in the cilantro by hand.