A scrumptious and versatile vegan cheeze that is pretty to boot! If you don’t have access to purple basil simply use regular basil.
Inspired by Jo Stepaniak’s awesome Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons agar powder (or 5 tablespoons agar flakes)
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons raw tahini (or sesame seeds)
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried chive
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh purple or green basil leaves or 2 teaspoons dried basil
1. Set aside a 2 cup plastic storage container.
2. In a high-power blender such as the Omni V 3HP blender add the cashews, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, tahini or sesame seeds, onion and garlic powders, dry mustard, salt and garlic clove
3. Combine water and agar in a small pan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring often with a whisk until completely dissolved, about 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Add mixture to the other ingredients in the blender and process until completely smooth, scraping down the sides of the blender jar as necessary
5. Add chives and basil and process briefly on low speed, just to incorporate.
6. Pour into container and cool uncovered in the refrigerator.
7. When completely cool, cover and chill several hours. (I usually serve it after 1 hour or so).
8. To serve, turn out of the container and slice.
9. Store covered in refrigerator where it will keep 5 to 7 days. (This cheeze also freezes well.)