I’ve tried my share of ‘mashed potato’ renditions, but haven’t had much success. The recipes ranged from being just ‘OK’ to ending up in our dog Kylo’s bowl. While most versions call for either cauliflower or parsnip (or a mixture of both), someone on Raw Freedom Community recently drew my attention to Matthew Kenney’s recipe using jicama.
Also known as Mexican Potato and Mexican Turnip, the versatility of this root veggie never ceases to amaze me. In fact, just yesterday I was enjoying jicama in Jozzie’s outstanding Lemon Poppy Seed Cake!
Here’s my slightly modified version of Matthew’s delicious Rosemary-Garlic Mashed Potatoes.
Adapted from Matthew Kenney’s Everyday Raw
- 4 cups chopped jicama
- 1 1/2 cups cashews
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary (or dried)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- Black pepper, to taste
1. In a food processor, process jicama. Press out excess liquid with a cheesecloth or through a sieve.
2. Place in a high-power blender such as the Omni V 3HP blender with the rest of the ingredients.
3. Blend until combined. Serve immediately or warm up in dehydrator before serving.