I just can’t get enough of this delicious super quick and versatile vegan cheeze that lends itself to umpteen variations. This time I let myself be inspired by the delicate fragrant aroma of fresh tarragon from our garden, and with a hint of Dijon mustard for yet another tasty combination. Mmmmm…
Inspired by Jo Stepaniak’s awesome Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons agar powder (or 5 tablespoons agar flakes)
- 1/2 cup almonds, soaked for 8 – 12 hrs
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons hulled hemp seeds
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh tarragon leaves (or 2 or 3 teaspoons dried)
1. Set aside a 2 cup plastic storage container.
2. In a high-power blender such as the Omni V 3HP blender add the almonds, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, hemp seeds, onion and garlic powders, dry and Dijon mustard, salt and garlic clove.
3. Combine water and agar in a small pan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring often with a whisk, until completely dissolved, about 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Add mixture to the other ingredients in the blender and process until completely smooth, scraping down the sides of the blender jar as necessary.
5. Add chopped tarragon and process briefly on low speed, just to incorporate.
6. Pour into container and cool uncovered in the refrigerator.
7. When completely cool, cover and chill several hours. (I usually serve it after 1 hour or so).
8. To serve, turn out of the container and slice.
9. Store covered in refrigerator. Will keep 5 to 7 days.
– I usually put my cheeze in the freezer for 30 minutes then transfer it to the fridge. That way it’s ready to be served even sooner! Yay!