This soup is a major staple for us, especially in the winter or when we’re traveling. The warm miso ginger broth is oh-so-comforting!
- Your favorite miso (We like chickpea or barley best.)
- 1” piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 4 cups hot water
- Seaweed of choice (we like kombu, broken up nori and wakame)
- Broccoli and cauliflower florets
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced and tossed in equal part olive oil and tamari and a crushed garlic clove
- 1 green onion, chopped
- Large handful mustard greens (other greens would work too) or bok choi, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 cup total of chopped red, orange and/or yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 avocado, cubed
1. Start off by boiling water in a pot, along with the ginger and the piece of kombu.
2. If desired, add broccoli and cauliflower florets in order for them to soften up or cook. (I recommend no more than 10 minutes for cauliflower and 5 minutes for broccoli.)
3. In the meantime, spread about 1 teaspoon of miso inside each bowl, then add a little hot ginger water and dissolve miso with a spoon.
4. Add other seaweed and veggies.
5. Top with the rest of the hot ginger water.